Voter Registration and Election Information
The general election will take place on Tuesday, November 8th, 2016. Your voter registration must be postmarked or submitted electronically no later than Monday, October 24th, 2016. Read below, and find more detailed information from the California Secretary of State's website.
- Military and Overseas Voter Vote-By-Mail Ballot Delivery Period: Friday, September 9th, 2016 - Saturday, September 24th, 2016. More information on military and overseas voting available here.
- Vote-By-Mail Mailing Period: Monday, October 10th, 2016 - Tuesday, November 1st, 2016
- Voter Registration Deadline: Must be submitted online or postmarked by Monday, October 24th, 2016.
- Vote-By-Mail Ballot Request Deadline: Must arrive by Tuesday, November 1, 2016.
- Election Date: Tuesday, November 8th, 2016. Polls open from 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM.
- Last Day to Receive Vote-By-Mail Ballot Postmarked No Later Than Tuesday, November 8th, 2016: Monday, November 14th, 2016.
Register to Vote or Update Your Voter Registration
If you've registered to vote before, you may still need to update your registration information in order to participate in the November 8th election. If you've changed any of the following since you last registered, then you may need to re-register: your legal name, your address, or your political party preference. You can register or re-register to vote in person at your local Registrar of Voters, on a paper California Voter Registration Form, and even online. Check to see if your voter registration is up-to-date: click here for San Diego County, or here for Orange County!
Become a Vote-by-Mail Voter
Voting by mail makes voting simpler, quicker, and easier. You can request to receive a mail-in ballot for all future elections when you register to vote, or by filling out the California Vote-By-Mail Application and mailing it in. You can receive your ballot early, fill it out on your own time, and mail it in or drop it off at designated locations before Election Day, or drop it off at any polling location in your county on Election Day.
Honor Veterans. Vote.
Honor a veteran or an active duty service member and dedicate your vote to them this year. You can submit a dedication to the California Secretary of State, and receive a certificate or a lapel pin to show your appreciation for your honored service member. Voters are encourage to wear the lapel pin when they vote on Election Day.